1000L Steam Boiler as a Rum Wash Fermenter?

What are your thoughts on me using a 1000L Steam w/ Agitator boiler to mix/stir/whirlpool/separate solids from, and then ferment a rum wash?

I was going to buy 7BBL conical(s) from Premier, Glacier, or GW Kent, but the beer equipment folks are being a bit of a pain to deal with, (apparently, giving a price including shipping to a customer ready to buy is not something they view as a valuable part of the sales process).

This also gives me my upgrade path to go to steam...

-mike

Tagged:

Comments

• We can do conicals as well ;)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• this is more 'modular' since I can use it for it's intended purpose 6-12 months from now... ;-)

• Ahhh. Can't see why it wouldn't work at all. Bottom drain for sediment removal ect.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Ahhh. Can't see why it wouldn't work at all. Bottom drain for sediment removal ect.

Yes Michael,,You could even put a site glass on the underside for yeast recovery or just to determine when the beer is draining off clear?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Oh, I would make a racking arm and have a sight glass on it...

• @CothermanDistilling said: Oh, I would make a racking arm and have a sight glass on it...

I meant our 2" site tower installed on the under side CIP drain port.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• you will never be able to drain sediment off the bottom efficiently, even with a conical, racking liquid off the top with a rotating racking arm, lowering the arm until you just start to get some yeast flurries in the sight glass..

• @punkin - looking at the below linked fermenters. Quality and price more important than lead time..

Are these something you think @smaug can source from @Lloyd?

Note - I want all features to be beer-spec, exactly like these fermenters, so they will have optimal resale value to small breweries in the area when I upsize.

gwkent.com/micro-fermenter.html# (7BBL size)

glaciertanks.com/Conical_Fermenter_w_Jckt-7-BBL-228GL_Jacketed_FermenterTank_SS304.html

• Lloyd is best placed to answer that mate.

• @Lloyd - could you please look at the specs below for the GW Kent 7BBL fermenter vs the 875L 3-layer one that @smaug sent me some basic info and a drawing on? I just want to know I am getting something very similar, since I have seen the GW Kent/Premier ones in person and am very happy with them. differences are OK, I just don't want surprises.

Also, would like to investigate having an agitator added for mixing rum wash.

GW Kent - Fermenter

Specifications

- Design pressure 15 psi 
    - 4 stainless steel legs with leveling footpads
    - Interior shell: 304 stainless steel, thickness 11 gauge
    - Exterior shell: 304 stainless steel, thickness 14 gauge
    - Interior and exterior finish bright polish to 250 grit, hygiene surface 
    - 60 degree cone bottom, with 25% head space 
    - Racking port and discharge port with butterfly valve and fittings
    - Side manway door, shadowless
    - Dual zone dimple cooling jacket with glycol inlet and outlet
    - Polyurethane insulation thickness 1-1/2" for cooling jacket on side and bottom
    - Fully welded exterior shell
    - CIP arm and spray ball
    - Rotating tank racking arm
    - Vacuum & pressure relief valve, relief pressure 15 psi, relief vacuum 5 psi
    - Pressure gauge
    - Thermometer
    - Perlick style Sample valve
    - Tank complete with fittings, valves and all parts. (optional purchase of temperature controler & solenoid valve)